Preparing for the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) is critical. Fewer than one third of test-takers pass all four sections of the TAP on the first attempt. The more you study and prepare, the greater your chances of doing well on the test.
If you need to retake a test, you must wait 30 days before retaking the same test. The final date to test is May 27, 2017 for the late June 2017 start. You must pass all required tests before the start of the program.
See below for information about available test preparation resources, many of which are free.
Official Study Guides and Practice Tests
- Visit the Illinois Licensure Testing System's preparation resources. ILTS provides free study guides and practice tests, as well as a Computer-Based Testing Tutorial Preview.
- The Teacher Prep: Basic Skills mobile app may help prepare by offering a review of reading, writing, and mathematics content.
- An expanded study guide for the TAP is available for $19.95; full-length practice tests are available for the Reading Comprehension, Language Arts/Writing, and Mathematics sub tests for $17.95 per practice test or $29.95 for the set.
DePaul University College of Education preparation suggestions
Tutoring support through DePaul University’s Academic Success Center is available for AUSL applicants who have been admitted to DePaul and accepted their offer of admission.
National Louis University Library & Learning Support preparation and courses (free for AUSL applicants who have been admitted to National Louis University; contact AUSL admissions for registration form)
- Longsdale Publishing (free for AUSL applicants, access instructions are available here)
- A Math professor at Western Illinois University
- 4Tests Online Praxis Prep Test
- Praxis Math Study Guide
- Free SAT/ACT Prep (can be used to prepare for the TAP): INeedAPencil, SAT Exam Prep and College Board Full SAT Practice Test
- Video Based Help/Lessons: Khan Academy and Mathpower.com
Books and Other Resources
- Look for books and flash cards at your local library or bookseller.
- AUSL has a library of resources available for checkout by accepted residents. Contact AUSL Admissions (773-534-0397 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up a time to pick up items from our office.
- GRE or SAT study guides from major test preparation providers (Barrons, The College Board, Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.) can be helpful in preparing for the Test of Academic Proficiency.
- Study guides and resources for Praxis tests can also be helpful in studying for the ILTS tests.
- Search the internet for additional materials and resources.