1. “SH” stands for “Semester Hours.” For most colleges and universities on a semester calendar, 1 Semester Hour = 1 credit, so a typical 3 credit, one semester course is worth 3 Semester Hours.

    If your college or university was on the quarter system: use the following formula to convert quarter hour credits to semester hour credits:

    •    5 quarter hours = 3 1/3 semester hours 3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours
    •    4 quarter hours = 2 2/3 semester hours2 quarter hours = 1 1/3 semester hours

  2. A grade of “C” or higher is required to receive credit for a course. Courses in which you received a grade of C minus or lower are not considered evidence of meeting requirements.
  3. Pass/Fail Courses cannot be used towards filling any coursework requirement.
  4. If you are missing coursework: Residents can enter the program with a maximum of 6 SH of missing coursework, which will need to be made up before the end of the summer term. Any coursework over 6 semester hours needs to be made up prior to the start of the program. Reference the Missing Coursework Guide for more information.
  5. If you are unsure if a class satisfies a state coursework requirement: Courses that meet a requirement in question need to be either listed or cross-listed under that subject area. For example, a class meeting an Earth Science requirement either is an Earth Science course or a Science course that is cross-listed under Earth Science.
  6. If any of your transcripts and credits are from educational institutions outside the United States: You will need to obtain a course-by-course evaluation that converts the foreign educational credentials to equivalent U.S. semester credits and courses.This must be done by a state-approved evaluator (https://www.isbe.net/Documents/foreign-cred-eval-svcs.pdf). Educational Credential Evaluators and World Education Services are the organizations most used. Credits from overseas study sponsored by your U.S.-based institution, which appear on your U.S.-based transcript, are not subject to this special review.
  7. If you received Advanced Placement credits from pre-college work: You may only use these semester hours if you received college credit for them and the class you took appears on your college or university transcript.